Maker's Mark tea service help / made in England

I have my mother’s sterling silver tea service; coffee, tea, sugar, creamer and the silver plate [I think] tray they always lived on. The tray has no marks on the back that I can find. I can’t find info yet on the maker’s mark; it is a trefoil, reads N B & S, also says HAND ENGRAVED, MADE IN ENGLAND. Any hints on approximate value also appreciated.

The mark is that of Nayler Brothers & Sons.

Thank you so much. I feel like I should have been able to find it. Any idea what a set like this could sell for?

Head for eBay, and search for silverplate tea service. Scroll down, and on the left, choose Sold items. The answer is, “not a lot.”

I can’t find any completed listings at all for sets by Nayler Brothers, which suggests either that they’re exceedingly rare, or, more likely, that they’re just not collectible. Decorative value only. Sterling silver, of course, is another story altogether.

Reading our OP’s initial query I think that only the tray is by Nayler Brothers and the tea service itself is sterling but with no information on which we can comment. Is that correct, kirbz?

Yes, the coffee service is sterling; the tray is not. The tray has no mark that I have found. The hallmark photo is the creamer. I believe the coffee urn, as shown in the photo, is missing a small piece of the finial; I thin it sits a bit higher, like on the tea urn.

So, the tray is unmarked which implies that it is, at best, electroplated. The tea and coffee service has at least one piece with the Nayler mark. That tells us that it is not sterling as there is no indication of a hallmark or sterling mark. JeffTucker’s valuation of “not a lot” sounds reasonable to me.

Yes, if any of the set were sterling, there would be recognizable U.K. hallmarks on it, and it would have at least some value beyond “decorative.” But there don’t seem to be any such marks.

Polish it up, and enjoy it! It’s very attractive, with a form that is somewhat outside the usual. Lovely engraving, and nicely proportioned handles.

But it’s not going to fund your children’s college tuition. :slight_smile:

yes, so sorry I misunderstood. Thanks all of you for help & input. Maybe I’ll donate it… :slight_smile: