Help Please cannot read marks

These are on an old walking stick that might have been my grandfathers.I hope you can help me.

CC, the maker, is Charles Cooke, a silver worker known to have been a supplier of stick mounts to Thomas Brigg & Sons whose mark as the stick retailer is also present. The 3 marks between CC and BRIGG are a London sterling silver hallmark comprising from the left the lion passant sterling silver guarantee mark, uncrowned leopard’s head mark of the London assay office, and the date mark which is unfortunately too rubbed to read. However I can say with certainty that the hallmark comes from the cycle 1896-1915.

Phil

Thank you very much we have spent last few years tries to read these marks we were unsure where it came from as it was found under aunts bed when she died 8 years ago my grandfather died in 1966 so we assumed it was his. I cant thank you enough for this information

Can you tell me anything about the L and the crown on the other side of the collar please?
Jessie

A monogram, perhaps? What was your grandfather’s name?

5 visible pearls (8 in total) on a coronet signify an earl or countess.

Perhaps we should ask whether mrscarrot’s grandfather was titled nobility. :slight_smile:

This is a case in which more detailed provenance would be interesting - it’s the kind of object that might have come out of an estate clearance sale back when so many vast fortunes were drying up, from the 1930’s onwards.

My grandfathers father was a coal miner my grandfather was a school janitor I am lost now I guess I will never know its origins. Thank you for all your help anyway I now know more than I did lol
Jessie

His name was Andrew his father was John

Somewhere behind all of this, there’s a thrilling story of the unacknowledged illegitimate child of The Right Hon. the Lord of Lignite, and of his descendants returning to reclaim their rightful place in the aristocracy. You should start ginning up some “documentation.” :laughing:

1 Like

Good idea I will get on it now lol. I have gone through Scotlands People and My Heritage doing family tree might have to add a few in there now lol

I bought a cheap jewellers eyepiece and my great grandson says that using it he can see that the letter is an f!! o again thank you for all your help at least we have a date ow in our mystery

Date letter “f” would make it 1901.

Perfect still none the wiser about how we as a family have it but I will be a lot more careful with it now. It looks like Irish Blackthorn wood full of bits that stick out so I will be very careful of it from now on

Maybe your grandfather was a beater for the aristocracy and was gifted the stick !! :wink:

I suppose that is a possibilty my wee brain has gone round in circles I just wish we had found it while he was still alive I was 17 when he died I never saw him use a stick once